Our prevention services help children start school free from a critical barrier to learning and teach people in our communities how to keep their eyes safe and healthy.
SPOT Vision Screenings for Children
- Up to 80% of what a typical child learns comes through their visual system and at least 20% of people identified with learning impairments have significant visual issues.
- Our free vision screenings are conducted with advanced hand-held SPOT equipment that is highly accurate in the determination of conditions such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatisms, strabismus, and amblyopia.
- Our screening equipment also is especially effective for use with kids who are autistic, have other physical challenges, or have language difficulties.
- More than 85% of our vision screenings are performed on kids ages 2-6, and we can screen those as young as six months.
- Approximately 95% of our screenings are held at preschools, daycare centers, and public kindergarten registrations.
- We screen approximately 8,000 kids in a typical year and refer about 9% of them for additional care.
- Families of kids referred for care receive printed screening results to share with an eye care professional.
- Our C. Well Bunny Goes to School education program also can be presented at screening events.
Prevention Education Programs
- We offer a variety of educational programs for preschool children, students, adults, and professionals.
- Our C. Well Bunny Goes to School presentation introduces preschoolers to basic concepts about eye health and safety. During some of his adventures, C. Well is joined by friends Dr. Optical and Miss Illusion.
- Our Low Vision Road Show shows audiences the specialized services that are available to people with visual impairments.
- Our Eyes in the Library presentation encourages students to discover the similarities and differences between human and animal eyes.
- Our Doing Things Differently presentation helps professionals interact effectively in their workplaces with patients, customers, and clients with visual impairments.
- Customized presentations are available on a limited basis.
Contact for Information
Jennifer Pandolfo, 570.992.7787, Ext. 222